In light of the scientific literature concerning the outcome of the endodontic treatment, it doesn’t sound inappropriate that the restoration of the endo-coronal complex has to be completed by the endodontist.
- Understand the importance of preserving as much sound tooth structure as possible by the restoration of endodontically treated teeth.
- Recognize the advantages of indirect composite restorations.
- Get familiar with the clinical protocol for indirect adhesive restoration of endodontically treated posterior teeth.
- Point out the most important factors in terms of prognosis of treatment of perforations.
- Know the indications and contraindications of using Ni-Ti files with landed and non-landed cross-sectional design.
- Robbins J W. Restoration of the endodontically treated tooth. Dent Clin North Am. 2002 Apr; 46(2):367–384.
- Gorni FGM, Gagliani MM. The outcome of endodontic retreatment: a 2-yr follow-up. J Endod. 2004 Jan; 30(1):1–4.
- Farzanah M, Abitbol S, Friedman S. Treatment outcome in endodontics: the Toronto study. Phases I and II: Orthograde retreatment. J Endod 2004 Sep;30(9):627–633.
- Chugal NM, Clive JM, Spångberg LS. Endodontic treatment outcome: effect of the permanent restoration. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007 Oct;104(4):576–582.
- Ricucci D, Gröndahl K, Bergenholtz G. Periapical status of root-filled teeth exposed to the oral environment by loss of restoration or caries. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2000 Sep;90(3):354–359.
- Gillen BM, Looney SW, Gu LS et al. Impact of the quality of coronal restoration versus the quality of root canal fillings on success of root canal treatment: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Endod. 2011 Jul;37(7):895–902.
- Magne P., Belser U. Bonded Porcelain Restorations in the Anterior Dentition: A Biomimetic Approach. Chicago, IL: Quintessence Publishing Co Inc, 2002.
- Magne P. Composite resins and bonded porcelain: the postamalgam era? J Calif Dent Assoc. 2006 Feb;34(2):135–147.
- Jackson RD. The role of modern composites and ceramics in clinical practice. Dent Today. 2011 Jun;30(6).
- de V Habekost L, Camacho GB, Azevedo EC, Demarco FF. Fracture resistance of thermal cycled and endodontically treated premolars with adhesive restorations. J Prosthet Dent. 2007 Sep;98(3):186–192.
- Magne P, Knezevic A. Simulated fatigue resistance of composite resin versus porcelain CAD/CAM overlay restorations on endodontically treated molars. Quintessence Int. 2009 Feb;40(2):125–133.
- Magne P. Virtual prototyping of adhesively restored, endodontically treated molars. J Prosthet Dent. 2010 Jun;103(6):343–351.
- Simon S, Pertot W-J. Clinical success in endodontic retreatment. Quintessence Pub Co; Apr 1, 2009.
- Mannocci F, Bhuva B, Stern S. Restoring teeth following root canal re-treatment. Endod Topics 2008 Sept;19(1):125–152.
- Peroz I, Blankenstein F, Lange KP, Naumann M. Restoring endodontically treated teeth with posts and cores-a review. Quintessence Int. 2005 Oct;36(9):737–746.
- Nandini S. Indirect resin composites. J Conserv Dent. 2010 Oct;13(4):184–194.
- Soares CJ, Celiberto L, Dechichi P et al. Marginal integrity and microleakage of direct and indirect composite inlays: SEM and stereomicroscopic evaluation. Braz Oral Res. 2005 Oct-Dec;19(4):295–301.
- Ricucci D, Grosso A. The compromised tooth: conservative treatment or extraction? Endod Topics 2006 Mar;13(1):108–122.
- Duarte S Jr, Botta AC, Meire M, Sadan A. Microtensile bond strengths and scanning electron microscopic evaluation of self-adhesive and self-etch resin cements to intact and etched enamel. J Prosthet Dent. 2008 Sep;100(3):203–210.
- de Andrade OS, de Goes MF, Montes MA. Marginal adaptation and microtensile bond strength of composite indirect restorations bonded to dentin treated with adhesive and low-viscosity composite. Dent Mater. 2007 Mar;23(3):279–287.
- Takano Y, Nikaido T, Tagami J. Visual and SEM observation of resin coated dentin after taking impression. J Jpn Adhes Dent. 2001;19:117–124.
- Ramos RP, Chimello DT, Chinelatti MA et al. Effect of three surface sealants on marginal sealing of Class V composite resin restorations.
The author will answer your questions
There are no commnets, questions or opinions posted yet. Be the first to comment on this article, it's easy! Just use the box below to write your message and the click "Submit the new thread"
Lyubomir Vangelov, DMD
Lyubomir Vangelov, DMD, is an assistant professor at Faculty of dental medicine, Department of Operative Dentistry and Endodontics, Plovdiv-Bulgaria. Simultaneously he maintains his private practice in Dental Center “Avangard,” limited to endodontics and esthetic restorations.
Stela Nicheva, DMD
Dr Stela Nicheva a obtenu son diplôme en dentisterie à la faculté de médecine de Plovdiv, Bulgarie, en 2010. Actuellement, elle occupe un poste de doctorante au service d’endodontie et de chirurgie dentaire de la faculté de médecine dentaire de Plovdiv, Bulgarie.
Guess what, you didn't learn everything in dental school, and my seminar on Pulp Fiction will help you separate truth from fiction.
This course is ideal for the progressive general practitioner with a minimally invasive practice. Along with hands-on training, clear demons
This program covers the latest in endodontic irrigation – the safest, most proven methods available in endodontics.
In this presentation, Dr. Glenn van As discusses the application of ultrasonics in endodontics including various units, tip shapes and desig
In the discipline of endodontics the integration of the Dental Operating Microscope (D.O.M.) has become an indispensable part of the clinica